Saturday, September 29, 2007

Life - it's a choice

I have been reading a book titled Deception by Randy Alcorn over the last week. I would highly recommend this book (and any others he has written). I finished it the other night and was left pondering. The book is a murder mystery of sorts following the life of a homiced detective, but as in all of his books there is a strong message about salvation and eternal life.
I guess I have always looked forward to eternal life with my Savior, not quite sure what to expect, but know it has to be unimaginably better than this life. The picture Randy gives of heaven in all of his books is intriguing and makes me look forward to it even more. What struck me about this book, was the picture he gave of hell, not heaven.
He writes of a philosophy professor that chose not to believe in God and was murdered...
"The hell he'd laughed at was now his residence. He knew, intuitively, that it always would be. The era of choice was past. This was the era of consequece....The torment was in knowing it could have been avoided. There'd been a lifetime of opportunity to seek and knock and ask, to examine the evidence, to find the truth. But that life was over, and with it, opportunity. What he faced now was not life but mere existence, in torment...He saw a great terrible face, twisted and hideous. The father of deception. He cringed in fear at the thought that someone so incalcuably evil had used him. He'd served a malevolent being he'd never believed in...Countless millions of poor followers of Jesus, whom he'd disdained as ignoramuses, had been right. They'd faithfully followed their Master, living lives of grace, truth, and quiet dignity. None of them were here. How many students who'd been raised to worship Jesus had he led away from the truth? How many, under his teaching, had forever deserted their churches or felt superior to their pathetic parents who'd paid their tuition but were stupid enough to believe the Bible?....On earth he'd rejected God while enjoying His provisions. But it was clear that God's absence meant the absence of all God gives. No God, no good. Forever. A wave came across him...Was this the same presence that in heaven caused men to be filled with joy and awe and love? Here it was unbearable. God's love felt like wrath, His joy like torture. The consuming fire fo God that was purity and goodness and comfort to those who loved the light was searing punishment to those who loved the darkness...The tedium crushed him already, though he'd been here a short time. What would a million years of this do to him? No sleep. No escape. An end without and end. "I had a choice!" he screamed in rage and horror....No one else would hear his cry. No one would ever rescue him."
God has given us all a choice. He has also given His followers a responsibility to share that choice with others. After reading this book, it reminded me of that responsibility. How can I not obey and instead see those I love spend eternity in hell. I know many don't want to believe in hell, but the Bible teaches of its existence. Not everyone will be in heaven, as much as it would make us feel better, when they die. We will not see everyone again. I do not wish anyone to go to hell to spend eternity in torment when instead they could be living eternally in joy and love and worship. I need to live my life in a way that relates God's existence and salvation to others. I need to be obedient when God calls me to share His Message with others. He uses us to impact the lives of others in order that they too might choose life! It doesn't mean I have to shove the Bible down their throats, but just be me, be their friend, and share my life and beliefs when directed by the Holy Spirit. I want to know that those I know and love have at least been given the opportunity to make the choice for life. I cannot make the choice for them, but can plant a seed that one day might bloom. LIFE - it is a choice. I choose life!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kirsten,
Powerful message and a book I will look into finding. Thank you so much for sharing it in the way that you did. You have beautiful ways of putting things into words. It definitely made me stop and think about several things. Glad to see a new post from you. Happy Sunday

Lindsay said...

Thank you Kirst for such powerful words that remind of us truth!
Blessings to you this week sweet sister - love you so much!

Stacy said...

Wow! Thanks for sharing Kirsten! You are so wise! I am excited to find this book. I love Christian Fiction! Have you read any Dee Henderson or Karen Kingsbury? Have a wonderful week!

Kailin said...

Randy Alcorn is one of my favorite authors, but I haven't gotten to this one yet...it is next on my list!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing that! I hope you have a wonderful week and I get to see you soon!

Anonymous said...

Yes, indeed, we highly recommend the book, as well!!
Kirsten, you are doing just as God asks us ALL to do.....share from our hearts and He will water the seeds of His truth that we plant in our conversations with others.