Monday, September 17, 2007

making applesauce from apples

I got some apples (along with many other home grown goodies) from my parents on Friday so that I could make some applesauce. Mind you I was feeling fine on Friday. I had a wonderful date with my husband on Friday night - we haven't done that in a while. We went to a kindergarten soccer game on Saturday morning after having a great breakfast at a friends house. Thanks Aaron and Emily! Great soccer Hannah and Mia! Thanks for playing with Obie Lily!


Things seemed to go downhill after that. By Saturday afternoon I just really wasn't feeling well (spending a lot of time in the bathroom) so we just hung around the house after running a few errands. I thought a good night sleep would be the cure for everthing...not the case. So we didn't go to church and instead had a day of football watching. Missed out on an all church BBQ - bummed about that, but there will be more. After a few hours of football, I happened to glance over and see the bags of apples my parents had given me. I thought..."I will make some applesauce. That should make my stomach feel better." So I started. Mid way through the apple peeling/slicing I used the garbage disposal to get rid of some peels. I guess I put a few too many in at once and clogged the sink. An hour and a half later, a few tears, getting unneccessarily frustrated with my husband, a phone call to my dad (mr. fix it), and a trip to Home Depot, the sink was unclogged! I finished the applesauce, and it was delicious!


Needless to say, nothing turned out quite as I had planned, but I can laugh about it today and got to eat applesauce for breakfast this morning! God is good even when we don't feel good, sinks get clogged, and things don't go as planned! His mercies are new every morning! I guess my outlook should be as well!

9 comments:

Kirsten said...

Oh Kirst! so proud of you for your good attitude... even after all the frustration!
the applesauce looks FANTASTIC!
want to make some for me?!

Lindsay said...

oops... that was me... forgot to log out after I got off the phone with you ... :) Love you sweet sister of mine!

Anonymous said...

Kirsten, You have an amazing attitude and a great outlook on things. I loved your pictures, and the applesauce looks great. So glad that everything worked out for you in the end even though a couple of things were tough. Have a great week!

Love,
Tanya

Becky said...

I like the moral to your story Kirsten!

Tiffany said...

Hey I feel ya with that!! Glad you got the applesauce made and maybe are feeling a little better! It looks yummy! Makes me want some!!

Michelle said...

feels so good!

Anonymous said...

Homemade applesauce.....Yum, Nothing like it!!
Glad you had perseverence to get through the rough spots....and having applesauce in your freezer will make the blues go away, for sure!
Love you Kirst!

Lindsay said...

did you chose a crib set yet?? :)

Stacy said...

Love applesauce!