Wednesday, January 9, 2008

JOY

I have been doing a Beth Moore study on the fruit of the Spirit. This last week was on JOY. It struck me the vast difference between worldly joy and the joy of the Spirit. Beth stated that worldly joy is always accompanied by a knowledge that this feeling is only for a time because, as we know, the world comes things happen. The joy of the Spirit, true joy, by contrast, comes by way of a faith that believes that even when we mourn, because we mourn, JOY COMETH! Psalm 30:5&11 ...weeping may remain for a night, but rejoicing comes in the morning....You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy!
Grace is intricately tied to Joy. Beth writes: "joy is an absolute assumption in grace. Joy is literally written into grace! God is telling us, "If you only understood what grace means and what you have received by way of it, you would never cease to rejoice!" Whether we ever have one external thing over which to rejoice, it is enough that we are born again!"
Joy is the result of our salvation! It doesn't mean that there won't be times of mourning, struggle, or disappointment. It means that as we allow Him to increase as we decrease, in the midst of those times, the result is joy.
I know that the joy I have received by way of grace and my salvation is immeasurable. The lyrics of Amazing Grace come to mind...
Twas grace that taught my heart to fear and grace my fears relieved. How precious did that grace appear the hour I first believed. Amazing grace how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind but now I see.
What an honor to be written in the book of life, to be an heir in His Kingdom, to be a recipient of His grace, and to be a servant here on earth in the meantime. I don't deserve it, I haven't earned it, I often take it for granted. But God has chosen me. "He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity on the hearts of men..."(Ecclesiastes 3:11) How could I do anything but REJOICE! I pray that joy overfloweth as I live each day in a way that glorifies my Lord. I pray that when circumstances arise that would hinder my joy, I would choose joy, a joy that defies my circumstances. A joy that comes only from the knowledge of my salvation and that these circumstances, not my joy, are temporary! A knowledge that true joy cometh!
Choose joy this day! Joy be upon you all!

5 comments:

Stacy said...

Well said! Thanks for sharing! You are so thoughtful and right-on! Through it all, I will choose joy!

Lindsay said...

wowsers... so, so, so powerful & meaningful! :)
thanks for sharing your heart Kirsten... God has definitely shown me JOY through you!!

I love you sweet sister - keep on listening & sharing... He's using you to reach others!

Anonymous said...

I love that JOY can be a choice! Choose Joy and everything will fall in to place..... He will cause all things (good or bad) to work together for our good!
I'm thankful for your sharing what you are learning from the Beth Moore study....we have so much to learn by/from sharing what God is saying to each of us.
Maybe Joy could be your baby's middle name?! :-)

Michelle said...

Jason and I have been talking a lot about Grace lately, and I love all the thoughts you have shared about the connection between Grace and Joy. They are very relevant and true! Blessings to you!!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this Kirsten.
I see so much Joy in you and boy are we going to be full of it when that little girl gets here!
Your blog looks great!!!