Saturday, January 19, 2008

look both ways before crossing...

or you may get hit by one of these...



A bit of an interesting day for Steve and I. We woke up this morning and decided we would run some errands. We started by washing the car, then made our way to Best Buy to browse. As we were leaving the store we looked to make sure no cars were coming before we crossed...we then proceeded to cross side by side. 2/3 of the way across the street Steve suddenly yelled WHOA and put his hands out to avoid being run over by a large Dodge Ram. As he was pushed backward from the force of the truck and his own push off he bumped into me forcing me to stumble, trip and eventually fall to the ground. Not having much balance or center of gravity these days, I am sure it was a sight. I landed on my side/back thankfully. A few cars stopped and people got out to make sure we were ok. The driver of the Dodge got an earful from Steve. How he didn't see us I am really not sure, but he obviously didn't. Steve was pretty angry, rightly so, but was more concerned for his pregnant wife lying on the pavement. He helped me up, made sure I was ok and then turned back to the driver and asked again if he saw us. He just asked if we were ok, then shut his door and drove off. I know he was scared, as we were, and didn't quite know what to say. As we made our way back to the car, I started to laugh in disbelief...the laughing quickly turned to crying as we drove home and I began to process what happened and thought of what could have happened. I am so very thankful that Steve and I (and baby girl) are all healthy and no worse for the wear. I am a little sore this evening. My back has a few aches and my ankle is scraped, but our little girl is actively moving and there have been no contractions. I guess we truly don't know what a day holds, but can only trust that our day and lives are in the hands of the Almighty!

So, just a little public service announcement....please remember to look both ways before crossing the street! (maybe a few extra times as once may not be enough)

9 comments:

Tiffany said...

Oh my gosh!!! What a crazy story!! I'm SOO glad you guys are ok!

Lindsay said...

Stupid pick-up truck drivers anyway!
Take care of YOU and that sweet baby please!! :)

Anonymous said...

We're so thankful that you are OK and that little "baby girl" Chavez is kicking around to let you know that she is OK.
Be on the lookout for moving vehicles....there are so many distractions for those behind the wheel! A lesson for us all!!

Stacy said...

ugh! My heart goes out to you, Steve and the baby. That must have been so frightening! I am so glad that you all are doing well! TELL YOUR DOCTOR! God bless you this week and I pray that your soreness will go away soon!

Ronda said...

Oh my!! The angels were there to soften your fall. So very thankful none of you were seriously hurt!

Kristie said...

so glad you are okay!

Anonymous said...

Kirsten,
Catching up on blogs as I am recovering. I am so glad that you and Steve and that precious bundle you are carrying are okay. I enjoy your posts even though I don't always comment. You do some wonderful writing just like your sister. Thanks for the call while I was in the hospital. Have a good rest of your week.

Anonymous said...

OK....still waiting for the picture of YOU .... adorable, pregnant, YOU!

Michelle said...

Wowzers!!! So glad you are all well. It feels to good to see that fire rise up in a husband to protect "his people." Bless you!!!